Kadhambha Sadham June 6, 2007Posted by live2cook in Rice preperations.
Kadhambha Sadham is a recipe of Thanjavur. Kadhambham means Mixture and the word is used to denote a garland made out of fragrant flowers. The flowers used in the garland are unique in the way that the fragrance of each one complement the other. This flower garland is one of the speciality of Thanjavur.
Similar to the flower garland, we combine vegetables of different nature in this rice recipe. The vegetables are unique by their taste and color. When combined they provide a special aromatic dish. So they named it “Kadhambha Sadham”. “Sadham” means cooked Rice.
The Recipe is:
1 cup Rice
1/2 cup Toor Dal
1 Sweet potato
1 small Eggplant
10 counts of Indian Broad Beans or Snap pea pods
10 counts of Green beans
1 small piece of Ash gourd or white pumpkin
1 small piece of Pumpkin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
walnut sized round of Tamarind
1 teaspoon Chana dal
3 Whole Red chiili
1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
2 pinches of Asafetida
1/2 teaspoon Sambar powder
3 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oil
3-4 Curry Leaves
1 Table spoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon Ghee.
1. Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water.
2. Roughly chop the vegetables and boil till done. Keep aside.
3. Cook the Rice and Toor dal Separately until creamy
4. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a pan and roast coriander seeds, chana dal, fenugreek seeds, Whole red chilli and asafetida till golden brown and grind to a powder.
5. Crush the Tamarind in the soaking water and extract the water in a bowl.
6. Mix the ground powder of spices and sambar powder and add to the Tamarind Extract.
7. Add salt and curry leaves to the Tamarind mixture.
8. Take the tamarind Mixture in a pan and boil for 10 minutes.
9. Add the boiled vegetables and cooked Toor dal. Boil for 5 more minutes.
10. Mix the sesame oil and ghee with cooked rice.
11. Mix the Vegetable and dal gravy to the rice and Mix gently. Serve hot.
I replaced the rice with whole Juwar and Sweet Potato with Beet root.