Orange Zest and Millet Paratha June 19, 2007Posted by live2cook in Breakfast, Desserts, Flat and Fried Breads.
This is something I am used to from my childhood days. Every morning my mom used to prepare a big pot of multi grain porridge which is sweetened with Jaggery. My Grandma will sit with that pot and our cups. The kids will sit surrounding her and drink the porridge. The place will be filled with our laughs and chats. A healthy start for the body, mind and the day.
Here, living in the “Grab and Go” culture, meeting the healthy dose of multi grains everyday is a challenge. I always look for make-ahead recipes, filled with all the goodness of multi grains. “Orange Zest and Millet paratha” is one such recipe. When served with fresh fruits, it is a healthy breakfast. If you eat as is, it is a healthy snack. When served with a scoop of ice cream or a fruit sorbet or a fruit compote or slightly smeared with melted butter, it is a heavenly dessert.
The ingredients I used:
For the dough:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Juwar flour
1/4 cup All purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
For the filling:
1. Mix the ingredients for the dough and knead to a pliable dough.
2. Toast the Ragi Flour for 5 minutes and Mix with the ingredients for the filling except the ghee or butter.
3. Take a lime sized dough and roll into 4 – 6 inches disc.
4. Brush lightly with the ghee or butter.
5. Sprinkle the filling evenly.
6. Roll into a log, starting from one end to other and pinch seal the ends.
7. Twist the log like a coffee roll.
8. Flatten and carefully roll into a 4-6 inches disc.
9. Cook in a hot griddle until brown spots appear.
10. Flip and cook on the other side and serve.