Winter melon Dessert – Dhumroot July 10, 2007Posted by live2cook in Desserts.
Every week, we all folded our sleeves and jumped into action to prepare recipes for the most interesting event A-Z of Vegetables hosted by Nupur. With full of enthusiasm, we were riding at full speed. After a small stop, it is time to start again from the alphabet “W”. As sugar gives quick energy, Let’s start with a sweet treat, “Dhumroot“.
I first tasted “Dhumroot” in my engagement party. I liked it very much. But I could find an opportunity to find out how they made it. Day’s went and we visited India for my son’s first birthday. While me and my mother-in-law were talking about the Dessert items for the birthday party, I recalled Dhumroot and told that I am eager to watch the way they prepare it.
I learned a new dessert recipe and am happy to share with you all.
2 cups Shredded Ash gourd (also called winter melon 😉 , white gourd, white pumpkin….)
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 tablespoons Ghee or Butter
2 drops of food color (I used Yellow)
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
1/4 teaspoon of Vanilla or Pineapple or Almond Extract (Optional)
1. Heat the Ghee or Butter in a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Add the shredded Ash gourd and stir fry.
3. Cook until the gourd turns glossy. Stir frequently.
4. Add the Sugar and mix well.
5. The sugar will dissolve in the water released by ash gourd. So there is no need for any kind of liquid.
6. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer.
7. Let it simmer till all the liquid evaporates and the sugar syrup starts to form single string consistency.
8. Keep stirring every now and then.
9. Add the cardamom powder and the extract (if using) at the end.
10. Turn off the heat and store in a sterilized jar. Use as a spread or a Dessert. Decorate with toasted Cashew and other nuts if desired.