A Tribute August 4, 2007Posted by live2cook in Breakfast, Sprouts! Sprouts!.
Every week it has been fun to create recipes for Nupur’s A-Z of Vegetables event. It gave us an opportunity to eat “The Alphabets” and to try new variety of vegetables. I was waiting for the last alphabet “Z” to celebrate the event and to pay tribute to the host, to all who eagerly participated, to all who eagerly read our posts and to all those who eagerly accepted to be the lab rat for the recipes we created 😉 ……
The alphabet is here at last, We are visiting the alphabet “Z” this week. What would be a better way to remember a food event more than creating a nice dish? So, I am presenting this “Zucchini Tower” as my tribute.
It is the recipe for “Kudalai Idly” from Meenakshi Ammal’s recipe book. I love this recipe for two reasons. The first reason is, it has no Rice in it, which gives me a variation in idly recipes. The other reason is, it calls for “Mung dal”, which I can replace with “Mung Sprouts”. Usually this idly is steamed in a cup made up of tender Banana leaves. As I am not able to find banana leaves in US, I use stainless steel cups or glasses (Tumblers), instead. I added Zucchini and it gave very soft Idli. The taste was amazing.
The Recipe is:
1 cup whole Mung Bean
1 cup Urad dal
1 cup Shredded Zucchini
1 tablespoon Cashew nuts Chopped
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
1 teaspoon Ghee or Oil
3 teaspoons Salt
1. Soak and sprout the Mung Beans.
2. Soak the Urad dal for 2 hours.
3. Grind the Mung bean and Urad dal to a smooth Batter.
4. Add the salt and mix well. Ferment overnight.
5. Heat the ghee in a small pan. Add the Black Pepper and Cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the cashew nuts and fry till golden brown.
6. Add to the Batter and Mix in the shredded zucchini.
7. Grease the cups with oil and spoon the batter, 2/3 full.
8. Steam for 10 minutes in a big pot or pressure cooker.
9. Allow to cool for 2 minutes. Remove from mold and serve.
I thank Nupur for hosting this wonderful Event.